Tag Archives: over

Somali pirates fight over ransom

Somalia map

A minimum of five individuals have died in Somalia in clashes between pirates fighting on the ransom taken care of a lately launched hostage sources have told the BBC

The gunfight started within the central capital of scotland- Galkayo on Thursday mid-day

Journalist Michael Scott Moore that has dual US and German citizenship was freed on Tuesday after nearly 3 years in captivity

But there’s been no confirmation that the ransom was taken care of his release

It’s not obvious just who was holding him

He was kidnapped in The month of january 2012 while researching a magazine on piracy

The clashes started following a lengthy argument about how exactly the ransom ought to be divided several sources in Galkayo stated

Four males along with a lady were wiped out they stated

Police official Mohamed Hassan told the Connected Press agency that the top sailing commander was among individuals who died

Also, he stated that the ransom have been compensated

Various armed groups happen to be fighting for charge of Somalia because the overthrow of Leader Siad Barre in 1991 – a scenario which has permitted pirates to flourish

Regional centres like Galkayo in Somalias north-eastern region of Puntland have achieved positive results from investment funded by piracy

But occurrences of piracy off Somalias coast have dropped lately – with armed pads on ships and worldwide navy patrols reported as a few of the reasons by maritime experts

US soccer moms sue over concussion

Football is growing in popularity as a youth sport in the United States


A group of young American footballers and their parents have sued Fifa and US football groups over the risks from concussions.

The California class-action lawsuit accuses the sport’s governing bodies of acting carelessly and negligently and failing to protect young players.

The filing also calls for new safety rules, including limiting the number of headers for young players

The US collegiate sports authority settled a similar suit last month.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) agreed to toughen rules over how long players have to rest after a head injury, and to create a multi-million dollar fund to test athletes for brain trauma.

The Fifa suit, filed by two former youth football players and parents of current young players, does not seek monetary damages, but calls for a medical monitoring programme for those who played football as children and young adults and may have suffered concussions.

The filing argues there is an epidemic of concussion injuries in soccer at all levels around the world” and that Fifa presides over this epidemic and is one of its primary causes through its ability to set the rules of the game.

The US Soccer Federation, US Youth Soccer Associations and several other football groups are also named as defendants.

A Fifa spokeswoman told US media they had no comment as they had not yet seen the lawsuit.

The spokeswoman, Delia Fischer, told the Bloomberg website the association has assigned a high priority” to prevention and treatment of head injuries, and has “clear recommendations” for team doctors.

The lawsuit particularly focuses on heading, citing research that the practice is more damaging for young people because their neck muscles are weaker and cannot slow the impact of the ball on the head.

Among the changes sought are limiting the number of times a player under 17 can head the ball and allowing temporary substitutions in professional leagues if a player has received a head injury.

Nigeria closes schools over Ebola

Children in Nigeria will be on holiday for a further six weeks


All schools in Nigeria have been ordered to remain shut until 13 October as part of measures to prevent the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.

The current outbreak is the deadliest since Ebola was discovered in 1976

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization has temporarily shut an Ebola testing laboratory in Kailahun in eastern Sierra Leone after a Senegalese health worker became infected with the virus.

There have been 392 Ebola deaths in Sierra Leone, according to the latest UN figures released on 22 August. Kailahun is one of the worst-affected districts and is currently under blockade.

It’s a temporary measure to take care of the welfare of our remaining workers, a WHO spokesman is quoted by the Reuters news agency as saying

On Tuesday, the WHO said an unprecedented number of doctors and nurses had been infected with Ebola which was further impeding control efforts.

Infections were due to a shortage of protective equipment and staff, it said.

Only one or two doctors are available for 100,000 patients in some of the affected countries